Why work at All Aboard?
- Work with some of the best designers & developers: We have 10+ years of experience in product development and pride in our craft. We know that collaboration is key. The team has, among other stuff, created the global website for the United Nation Global Goals.
- Tackle our most interesting and impactful problems: We're still a small team and people wear many hats. You'll be jumping between working on integrating API's, setting up architecture, workshops and meeting the end users – participating in every phase from idea to launch. Absolutely no boredom.
- The climate can't wait: Our skills should be used for good. It's also fantastic to work on something that the world is excited about, that the planet desperately needs and that we ourselves want to use.
- The timing is just right: We are a Sting alumni and have some of the best angel investors in Stockholm backing us. You'd join at the perfect time to shape what we build and how we grow.
- Explore more in Europe. Train travel gives you the chance to explore more places than one. Make the journey part of the destination!
- Plan & book in one place. Get recommended routes based on expert trips. Adjust them to your needs and book all tickets at once. Simple & safe!
- Sustainable travel choice. Look after the planet and travel by train. You reduce your carbon footprint and help cutting the global emissions. Win-win.
Humans are explorers by nature, but traveling has to happen in a comfortable, affordable and sustainable way. Going by train is deeply rooted in Europe, but the experience has been neglected for the past few decades. Now, because of climate change, it’s finally returning and in full speed.
However, planning and booking long distance trips is too hard.
All Aboard are now solving these problems so that we all can get back to exploring the world.
Choo choo choo!
Life at All Aboard
We're a small but experienced team (Patrik, Johanna, Carl, Therese, Anton, Kalle, Hazel, Susanne & Nicky), with a shared passion for design, elegant solutions, music and travel.
The ongoing pandemic have put a halt to traveling but we're still going full speed ahead.
We strongly believe in a healthy work-life balance and meeting peoples different needs. Naturally, we're a fully remote workplace. We do have an office in Stockholm, but most of us prefer to work from home (some live abroad) whereas others enjoys to get together at the office regularly.
About the Role
So, what will you do as a Backend Engineer at All Aboard?
Be a key part of the team in building the product, focusing on the backend. You will help create robust systems for handling travelling data, getting to know the train operators, solving tricky logistical challenges in ticket delivery, creating recommendation algorithms and working with payment solutions.
The backend stack is based on Elixir, using the Phoenix framework and backed by a PostgreSQL database. The client-facing application is a Node.js app that communicates with the Elixir backend using GraphQL. We run all of this on Heroku. We don't expect you to know all of this, but you need to be prepared to learn.
Since the company is still young, you will also be part of setting up the architecture for the system that will last many years to come while at the same time balancing this with the need to move fast to get to market.
This might be for you if...
- You have experience with any of the aforementioned technologies, or are eager to learn.
- You have experience setting up scalable systems and architecture.
- You can readily learn new technologies as you go. To you, technologies are about tools and tradeoffs, not an ideology.
- You care about the business implications of anything you build. You're not just going after cool stuff — you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- You've spent time working in teams with other developers, maybe even leading them.
- You are fluent in spoken and written English (Swedish is not required).
- Bonus: You have experience of traveling with Interrail in Europe and know what a tremendous joy (as well as a hassle) it can be.
What benefits can you expect?
- Part-time or full-time.
- All the good stuff that comes with a Swedish employment.
- Work remote or at our office in Stockholm.
- Flexible hours. We communicate asynchronous.
- Flexible vacation weeks.
- Great insurances and company pension savings.